To warm you inside and out, try this Mung Beans and Rice recipe, sometimes known as Kitcheri. It is cleansing and detoxifying, and most importantly delicious!! It is a traditional dish from India, and similar to dishes made in Afghanistan, Egypt, Nepal and other countries~
You can vary the ingredients to your liking, adding grated ginger to be more energetic and spicy, leaving out the curry spices to make it more subtle or by varying the vegetables you include~
Also, I make my own Garam Masala when I have all the spices I need;
coriander, cumin, turmeric, black pepper (cinnamon-cloves-nutmeg-just a little of these)
~MUNG BEANS AND RICE~
- 1 large onion
- 2 stalks celery
- Garam Masala
- Olive or vegetable oil
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 tbs. butter (optional)
- 1 cup mung beans
- 1 cup basmati rice
- Bragg to taste
- Tamari to taste
- 2-3 tbs. nutritional yeast
- 1 large carrot
- 1 large zucchini
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Add oil to pan and then spices
- Stir and put flame on low
- Add chopped onion and celery
- Cook about 10 minutes
- Add 3 cloves of chopped garlic and stir
- Cover and let sit
MUNG BEANS & RICE
- In a large pot boil water.
- When water is boiled add mung beans.
- Bring back to boil/lower heat and cook for 20 min.
- Add chopped carrot after about 10 min.
- Add chopped zucchini after about 15 min.
- After 20 min., add rice
- Stir once/lower heat and cook 10 min. uncovered
- Turn off heat after 10 min. and wait another 10 min.
- Add Masala, Tamari, Bragg, Yeast, Salt, Pepper
- Taste and adjust seasoning to your pleasure.